What does OHIP cover?
- Visits to your doctor or a physician at a walk-in clinic
- Hospital visits and stay
- Medical or surgical abortions
- Eligible dental surgery in hospital
- Eligible optometry (eye-health services)
- Podiatry (foot-health services)
- Ambulance services
- Travel for health services if you live in northern Ontario
What does OHIP not cover?
OHIP does not cover:
- Prescription drugs provided in non-hospital settings (e.g., antibiotics prescribed by your family doctor)
- Services that are not medically necessary, like cosmetic surgery or laser eye surgery
- Eyeglasses or contact lenses
- Dental care at a dentist’s office
- Some alternative medicine (e.g., naturopathy, acupuncture, chiropractors, or massage therapy)
However, sometimes OHIP may cover part of the cost of some of these services. It also covers basic medical services if you access them in another province. It is a good idea to check if the service you need is covered.
Who qualifies for OHIP?
To qualify for the province's public health insurance plan, you must:
- be a resident of Ontario
- be physically in Ontario for the first 153 days immediately after you move to Ontario
- be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days within a 12-month period
You must also be one of the following:
- a Canadian citizen
- a permanent resident (or confirmed applicant of permanent residency)
- a convention refugee or protected person
- working full-time on a valid work permit for at least six months in Ontario
How do I apply for OHIP?
To apply for OHIP, you must go in person to a ServiceOntario centre and bring the following documents:
- a completed registration form
- an original document proving your identity
- an original document proving you're a Canadian citizen or have another qualifying immmigration status
- a document that proves you're a resident of Ontario
Check this list of documents that you can use to apply for OHIP.
How do I find out more about OHIP?
To learn more about OHIP:
- Visit the OHIP website
- Talk to a nurse or doctor
- Call ServiceOntario:
In Ontario (toll free): 1-866-532-3161
In Toronto: 416-314-5518