You will need:
- To be over 16-years-old
- Identification: (1) a personal ID, like a health card, and (2) a foreign or Canadian passport, citizenship card, a Permanent Residency Card (PRC) or other permanent or temporary immigration documents. (original ID and non-expired)
- A car (for the road tests)
- To pass tests including an eye exam
Step 1: Get your G1
To get your first licence (G1) you will need to take a written test. To prepare for the test, order or read the Driver’s Handbook online for rules and regulations of driving in Ontario. You can also look for online resources, like Practice Test Geeks, to do some extra studying.
- After you get familiar with driving rules, go to a drive test Driver Examination Centre near you to write the test.
- You need to bring personal identification and proof of immigration status with you to take the test.
- You have to pay fees to apply for a licence to write the written test and to take a road test. See list of fees on the drive test website
You can write this test in different languages so check with your local driver exam centre to see which languages are available. To help you write the test in your own language, many community organizations have translated versions of the Driver’s Handbook.
You should know: Once you pass your G1 written test, you must wait one year before you can take the road test to get your G2. If you are registered in a driving school, you only have to wait 8 months.
Find driving schools near you.
Step 2: Get your G2
You need to take a G1 “road test” to get your G2. This means that you will be tested on your ability to drive safely and follow Ontario’s driving rules.
- When you think you are ready to take this test or have completed driving school, you should book a test with DriveTest.
- You need to have a valid G1 driver’s licence number with you to book your test.
- You also need to bring a car, your G1 driver’s licence, and a fully licensed driver who has been driving for at least four years.
You should know: Once you get your G2, you must wait one year before you can take the road test to get your full licence (G).
Step 3: Get your full (G) Licence
You need to take a G2 “road test” to get your full G Licence. You will be tested on more advanced driving skills. The process of getting your G is similar to getting your G2:
- When you think you are ready to take this test you should book a test with DriveTest.
- You need your valid G2 driver's licence number to book your test.
- You also need to bring a car and your G2 driver’s licence.
There are many rules you need to follow after you get your licences. These include the number of people you can have in your car, what level of alcohol you are allowed to have, and certain places you are allowed to drive. Make sure to look up or ask about the full list of rules so you don’t accidentally break them!
Find more information on the process for obtaining a Class G1, Class G2, and then a full Class G Licence on the DriveTest website.
NOTE: You have 5 years to take all of your tests to get your full Class G Licence. If you don't take one of the tests within that time frame, you must pay the renewal fees for another 5 years.
For fees please visit DriveTest Fees.