What are Settlement Services?

Settlement services help you “settle” or adjust to your new life in Canada and are available in many languages. Most settlement services are free, though sometimes agencies will charge a fee for some services like translation.

You can find settlement services in community centres and agencies, schools, and community health centres. Settlement counsellors can answer questions about living in Canada and can also help you understand your immigration process better.

Settlement counsellors help you:

  • Find a school
  • Find a place to live
  • Find a family doctor
  • Get government-issued documents like a Social Insurance Number
  • Get a driver’s license
  • Get help with your immigration process

Are there youth settlement services?

Yes. If you are between 13-24 years old, a Youth Settlement Counsellor can help you with many things like:

  • Finding information about volunteering
  • Finding someone you can talk to about problems you may be having
  • Meeting other young people who are new to Canada
  • Getting into school (high school, university, college)
  • Finding a place to live

Settlement services are confidential – this means that anything you say to a settlement counsellor will not be shared with anyone else.

Youth Settlement Services are also fun! You can join a homework clubs, mentoring groups, or attend workshops on topics like film, photography, dance and your health. You may also be able to access computers and internet, depending on the agency you are visiting.

To find a youth settlement counsellor in your area visit 211 Ontario