Questions & Answers

How it works

Generic  img-responsive

Step 1

Generic  img-responsive

Step 2

Generic  img-responsive

Step 3
Be Notified


Hi I'm 17 and i want to move out of my parents but i'm only a permanent resident here in canada and my mom is my sponsor as a dependent child for citizenship. I just want to ask if i do have a right to move out or live by my own but in the same province as my parents without us getting problems about applying for citizenship.


Hello and thank you for your question.

As a minor under the age of 18-years-old, your parent or guardian must apply for citizenship on your behalf, and it's best if your family applies together and submits all documents in one envelope so that everyone is processed together.

However, you do not need to live with your parents to submit the application and it will not affect the process if you move out. Read our article on how to get Canadian citizenship.

The Government of Canada also has a helpful guide on everything you need to know about applying for citizenship as a minor.

We hope this helps. team

Still can't find what you need? Tell us what information you would like to see on our website at