How do I get a SIN?

Applying for a SIN is easy if you meet all the requirements. Find out how to apply and what documents you need to get your SIN.

To apply for a SIN, you need:

  • To be at least 12 years old
  • To have the necessary documents (see below)
  • Download and fill out the SIN application form . You can also pick one up at a Service Canada Centre
  • Drop off your application package to a Service Canada Centre or mail it to this address:
    Service Canada
    Social Insurance Registration Office
    P.O. Box 7000
    Bathurst, NB E2A 4T1

If you are a refugee claimant, then you can’t get a SIN unless you have a work permit. To get a work permit, you have to apply for one from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). You can apply for a work permit from inside Canada. Once you get it, you can apply for a SIN.

What “Necessary Documents” do I need?

Making sure you have all the right documents is the hardest part about applying for a SIN.

You need any of the documents below (originals only) depending on your status AND a proof of address (any mail that has been mailed to your address with your name on it, like a bill or bank statement).

If you are a Canadian Citizen

If you are a Canadian Citizen, you need proof of citizenship (a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship, a birth certificate, or a certificate of Indian Status)

If you are a Permanent Resident (PR)/Landed Immigrant

If you are a Permanent Resident (PR)/Landed Immigrant, you need proof of status. This can be one of these:

  • A PR Card
  • Confirmation of PR and Visa Counterfoil in your passport
  • Confirmation of PR and [no-glossary]Visa Counterfoil[/no-glossary] on a Single-Journey Travel Document for Resettlement to Canada

If you are an international student (or foreign worker)

If you are an international student (or foreign worker), you need to show one of these documents (originals only):

  • A work permit/employment authorization issued by CIC
  • Student Authorization/Study Permit issued by CIC and a contract of employment from an on-campus employer or a student work permit (off-campus work permit or co-op work permit).
  • Visitor Record (indicating authorization to work) issued by CIC and a contract of employment.
  • Permit to Come into or Remain in Canada/Temporary Resident Permit issued by CIC
  • Diplomatic Identity Card issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade; for categories D, I or J and a letter of permission of employment.

Is your name on your documents different than the name you are using now?

You will have to provide extra (original) documents. You can find more information on the Service Canada website.