Why do we organize the YAG?
The YAG is a space where newcomer youth across Canada build a community of support that persists even when they go back home.
Although the CCR Youth Network uses different forms of electronic communication, the distance that separates us can sometimes be a challenge to ongoing and effective engagement. What we need to continue our momentum is to meet face to face at the national level.
- The YAG is a two-day event with no registration fee
- Places are limited, and participants will be accepted on a first come first served basis. If your registration request is accepted, you will be sent a confirmation email
- The YAG welcomes any self-identified newcomer / migrant / refugee youth and allies who are accompanying them. Each group is allowed a maximum of two accompanying adults. Each participant should fill in the form below individually
- You need to be at least 16 years old to register. If you are between 16 or 17 years old, you need to fill 2 documents, one signed by your legal guardian/parent and one by the authorized accompanying adult (18 years old and up).
Travel subsidy selection criteria:
The Canadian Council for Refugees is pleased to be able to offer some funding to assist newcomer youth from across Canada in participating in the 2019 Youth Action Gathering (YAG).
To qualify, you must:
- Be between 16 and 25 years old
- Have experience as a newcomer / migrant / refugee youth to Canada
- Be available to travel to Moncton/Dieppe for the YAG and commit to participate fully in the YAG if funded
- Submit your application together with a budget estimate (see below) by August 31, 2019 (sending it earlier increases your chances of getting selected)
We will support as many youth as we can, but priority will be given to applicants who are one or more of the following:
- You are a racialized immigrant or refugee
- You are a LGBT+ newcomer
- You are a francophone newcomer youth
- You are an active member of the CCR Youth Network and you are committed to continue your involvement after the YAG
- You have participated in CCR Youth Network projects such as the NYCE project and the local CCR Youth Network branches
- You will play a leadership role at the YAG (e.g. be part of a workshop organizing team, facilitate a workshop, be a guest speaker)
- You have raised part of the funding for your travel but need help with the rest
- You are from a region that is less likely to be strongly represented at the YAG, for example smaller suburban communities
About the funding
- Funding can cover part of your air travel, ground transportation and hotel accommodation in Moncton/ Dieppe.
- Youth who are funded will be responsible for booking their own travel. The CCR will reimburse expenses upon presentation of receipts up to an agreed amount.
- Youth who are under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
Please provide an estimation of the participation cost you will need to cover in order to complete your application. Here is a list of the costs you should be taking into account:
- Round trip to Moncton, New Brunswick
- Accommodation: approximately $ 60 / per night per person ( 3 nights in total)