Parent harassment

Hi, I'm a 17-year-old teenager with a 16-year-old sister looking for help. My sister and I are very uncomfortable living with our dad. He has harassed us in many ways to the point where he won't even give us privacy in our own bedrooms. He has kicked us out, hit us, and threatened us many times, and now I feel a bit of sexual harassment. I have called the student welfare many times but they always say that we already have a case under our names and they won't explain what they mean by "case." He won't give us a dime for food, clothes, or anything. I don't even have a health card because he wouldn’t give me my Canadian passport, which will soon also expire. I'm having a hard time finding a job due to transportation and not having a phone so no one is able to contact me. Please explain what I can do in this case. I really need to get out of there.



Thank you for your question. We’re sorry you are going through this.

Firstly, we need to make sure that you and your sister are safe. It sounds like you are having serious problems at home, we encourage you to contact 911 if you feel you are both in danger. The police is there first and foremost, to ensure your safety.

You mentioned not having access to a phone, if you do have access to an internet connection and a computer you can make free calls across the country with a Gmail Email account. All Gmail accounts are equip witth phone calling capabilities. You will need a computer with a built-in microphone, or hands-free headphones with a mic (earbuds) to make the call.

Have you considered speaking to a counsellor at KidsHelpPhone? You can reach them at 1-800-668-6868. If it’s easier for you to contact them online, you can go to their website and scroll to the bottom of the page and select “Chat with a counsellor”

Once you are ready to review your Ontario Works situation and seek financial assistance you can look up an Ontario Works office near you. It's best if you can go in person to an office and request to see a caseworker who will guide you through the process. 

Please follow up with us to let us know the outcome of your situation. You can email us privately if you like at 

We hope this helps. Team