You are eligible for the CESB if:
- You do not qualify for EI or CERB
- You’re a citizen, permanent resident, registered Indian, or protected person
- You’re a student or recent graduate
- You are earning less than $1,000 (before taxes) during the 4-week eligibility periods
You are considered a student or recent graduate if one of the following applies to you:
- You’re enrolled in a post-secondary program (e.g., college or university) to receive a diploma, degree, or certificate
- Your finished post-secondary studies in December 2019 or later
- You finished/will finish high school in 2020 and expect to start a post-secondary program before February 2021
How much money can I get through CESB?
Students can receive $1,250 plus the benefit top-up if they’re eligible for each of the following 4-week periods:
- May 10 to June 6, 2020
- June 7 to July 4, 2020
- July 5 to August 1, 2020
- August 2 to August 29, 2020
Graduating high school students are eligible for:
- All 4 eligibility periods if they graduated between January 1 and May 9
- Only 3 eligibility periods if they graduated between May 10 and June 6
- Only 2 eligibility periods if they graduated between Jun 7 and December 31
Students need to re-apply for every period and must be actively looking for work while receiving the benefit.
What is the benefit top-up?
Applicants can get a bonus $750 if they have a disability, or a child or dependent under 12-years-old.
When do I get my money?
Applicants who set up direct deposit get paid within three businesses. Otherwise, it will take about 10 business days to receive a cheque by mail.
How can students apply?
- Online by creating an account with or signing into an existing CRA account.
- On the phone by calling the CRA 1-800-959-8281 at.
Make sure you have your Social Insurance Number (SIN) and postal code ready.