Questions & Answers

How it works

Generic  img-responsive

Step 1

Generic  img-responsive

Step 2

Generic  img-responsive

Step 3
Be Notified

What can I do to eliminate the risk of identity theft?

About six months ago, I sent a scanned copy of my Alberta Health Card and Passport to an ‘employer’ who wanted me to work in their ‘company’ online. In addition to this, I had signed a ‘work application’ and have been ‘hired.’ That person hasn’t gotten back to me since. I’m really afraid I’ve foolishly put myself at risk for identity theft. I am 17-years-old and my mother refuses to help me with this, leading to me not being able to do anything for months. I cannot check possible credit scores or accounts opened in my name without a consenting adult to help me because I’m still a minor. I’m afraid that as soon as I turn 18, or even right now as I type this, I’m losing a lot. I’ve also experienced extreme stress because of this and its been affecting everything. I’m still a Permanent Resident and I’m afraid that this may lead to complications when getting my citizenship, going to university, and finding a career. What can I do and who can I call for help? Please answer, thank you.


Hello and thank you for your question.

If you believe you have been a victim of identity theft, please report the incident immediately to the police by calling 911. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police has more information about identity theft and an assistance guide to help you take the next steps to protect your identity. 

You should also call the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501.

If you're dealing with stress, please read our article, 'Where can I get mental health help?' Don't be ashamed of what you're going through. You're not alone, and you have resources available that may make things easier to deal with.

We hope this helps. Team

Still can't find what you need? Tell us what information you would like to see on our website at [email protected].