Questions & Answers

How it works

Generic  img-responsive

Step 1

Generic  img-responsive

Step 2

Generic  img-responsive

Step 3
Be Notified

Moved out, parents won't give IDs

So I just moved out of my parents' house (I am 17-years-old) and my parents are refusing to give me my IDs such as health card, passport, SIN card, birth certificate, etc., and I need it to get a job. What should I do?


Hello and thank you for your question.

We're sorry to hear your parents are refusing to give you your IDs. 

If you were born in Canada, you may be able to apply online for your birth certificate here.

You can also find out more about applying for a Canadian citizenship certificate as a minor, which can help you get other IDs like an Ontario Card or a health card.

For more detailed information about your particular case, contact Service Ontario directly.

We hope this helps. Team

Still can't find what you need? Tell us what information you would like to see on our website at