Questions & Answers

How it works

Generic  img-responsive

Step 1

Generic  img-responsive

Step 2

Generic  img-responsive

Step 3
Be Notified

I am 17 and I need to leave my house

Hi, I’m 17 years old and I need to leave my house to get away from the constant emotional abuse. I work part time and I am in high school so I would not be able to afford an apartment on my own. Am I eligible for assistance. If I am how do I apply?


Hello and thank you for your question.

We're sorry for the difficult situation you're in. Your health and safety is most important, and if you feel like you're in danger, please get help immediately. 

You can contact a Legal Aid clinic in your area and speak to an advisor for a free consultation on what your options are. You can also call or chat online with a counsellor at

Welfare, known as Ontario Works, is one of the options you should look into. To be eligble for welfare, you must:

  • live in Ontario
  • be in financial need (your household doesn’t have sufficient financial resources to meet basic living expenses)
  • be willing to make reasonable efforts to find, prepare for and keep a job (unless you have specific circumstances that temporarily prevent you from doing so, such as an illness or caregiving responsibilities)

To get the best help, we suggest going to an Ontario Works office and meeting with a case worker. They'll be able to answer all of your questions and guide you through the process. Make sure you bring all the necessary documents to your appointment. 

If you're underage, please read our article on  applying for Ontario Works if you're under 18 on our website. 

We hope this helps. team

Still can't find what you need? Tell us what information you would like to see on our website at