Educate Yourself

Can I apply for OSAP as a refugee?

One of the main sources of post-secondary financial assistance is OSAP – the Ontario Student Assistance Program.

In 2003, the Canadian law changed allowing convention refugee students and all protected persons in Canada, eligible to apply for Canadian Student Loans.

Protected persons and refugees are those who have been legally recognized by the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) and who have a Letter of Determination from the IRB or from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

What are scholarships, grants and bursaries?

Paying for post-secondary education can be expensive. Government loans such as OSAP (The Ontario Student Assistance Program) are helpful but will leave you with debt. There are other ways to pay for school.

If you get high grades or demonstrate financial need, you may qualify for scholarships, grants and bursaries. These are money gifts from your school, government organizations, private donors and individuals that you do not have to pay back

What is OSAP?

Do you want to go to college or university but can’t afford to pay for it? Think about applying for the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).

OSAP offers financial aid to eligible students who want to attend public or private post-secondary school. OSAP can fund your education through:

  • Grants: money you don't have to pay back
  • Loans: money you have to pay back, with interest, after you graduate

You’re automatically considered for both grants and loans when you apply for OSAP, but you have the option of declining the loan.