Overpayment Ontario works

ontario works has denied my application to receive benefits due to an overpayment over a year ago.  They told me I was lucky that they arent pursuing a fraud charge.  They told me I was banned for life.  Is this legal?  My only option is to be homeless?


Hello and thank you for your question.

Your first step should be contacting Ontario Works directly to get some clarification on your payment history. Make sure you keep a record of all your communications with Ontario Works, and of how much money you have received. 

If you believe you need legal help, get in touch with your local Community Legal Clinic. They'll be able to give you more information about your case, or refer you to someone you can. You can find a list of clinics on Legal Aid Ontario's website.

We hope this helps.

NewYouth.ca team

Still can't find what you need? Tell us what information you would like to see on our website at [email protected]