Moving out help

Im 16 and moved out, my mom Locke me and my brother out when I was 13, CAS put me with my grandparents and they have aloud me to move out but return if I need, due to aneixty an depression it's hard to work, can I apply for welfare even if my parents allow me home?


Hello and thank you for your question.

We're sorry for the difficult situation you're in. 

You can certainly apply for welfare, or Ontario Works, even if you're under 18. Because your situation is unique and you're still underage, we suggest that you go to an Ontario Works office and speak to a case worker. They'll be able to figure out if you're eligible and guide you through the process. 

Remember, to receive Ontario Works you must:

  • live in Ontario
  • be in financial need (your household doesn’t have sufficient financial resources to meet basic living expenses)
  • be willing to make reasonable efforts to find, prepare for and keep a job (unless you have specific circumstances that temporarily prevent you from doing so, such as an illness or caregiving responsibilities)

There's more information about applying for Ontario Works if you're under 18 on our website. Learn as much as you can and gather all the documents you need before going to an Ontario Works office.

We hope this helps. team

Still can't find what you need? Tell us what information you would like to see on our website at [email protected]