Moving out at 17

So i just moved out of my parents house (i am 17 years old)

and my parents are refusing to give me my ID such as health card, pass port, sin card, birth certificate etc, and i need it to get a job. What should i do?


Hello and thank you for your question!

We think you might need legal intervention. If you talk to your parents and tell them you are looking to get legal advice that might motivate them to cooperate with you.

Otherwise, you can contact a Legal Aid clinic in your area and speak to an advisor for a free consultation on what your options are. You can also call or chat online with a counsellor at

We hope this helps, team

Still can't find what you need? Tell us what information you would like to see on our website at [email protected]