Employer: Jane/Finch Centre
Job city: Toronto
Job region: Greater Toronto Area
Application Deadline: Monday, October 30, 2017 - 4:00pm
Jane/Finch is a community based organization driven by passion, innovation and a strong commitment to social justice, community engagement and collaboration. Our vision is a healthy Jane Finch community - strong, inclusive, socially and politically active through diversity, opportunity and participation.
Settlement program supports the successful integration of new immigrant youth and families through cultural, educational, economic, social and political engagement.
The Settlement Peer Youth Worker is accountable to the Settlement Services Manager
- Under the supervision of the Settlement Services Manager, the Settlement Peer Youth Worker will conduct outreach, provide resources, and support the facilitation of settlement integration and adaptation services and activities to eligible newcomer youth and families, including Permanent Residents, Conventional and Government Assisted Refugees. This position will focus on focus on providing social supports, with an emphasis of social engagement of newcomers.
- Strong preference will be given to candidates who can display a solid understanding and knowledge about topics important to the newcomer community so to best understand their needs and rights to provide and connect them with appropriate services.
- Help plan and facilitate settlement services for newcomer youth and families in the Toronto North/West
- Conduct and support outreach activities in various community locations
- Work, in partnership, with the Settlement team, Jane/Finch Community and Family Centre and other local organizations and groups
- Work with the Settlement Staff in the planning and implementation of accessible activities
- Plan and facilitate weekly group activities that encourage newcomer social engagement and reduce isolation
- Support settlement staff with advocacy and settlement support services
- Other duties as required
- Demonstrated interest in the field of Social Work, Child and Youth Work, or equivalent
- 1-3 years’ experience assisting newcomers with settlement needs and transition
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and in one of the following languages: Arabic, French, Vietnamese, Mandarin, Turkish
- Demonstrated cultural competence and experience working with diverse communities/cultures
- Demonstrated ability to work appropriately with sensitive and confidential information
- Demonstrated skills in outreach and facilitation
- Strong time management, problem-solving and interpersonal skills
- Excellent problem solving and crisis management skills
- A proven understanding and knowledge of issues facing newcomer youth and families such as diversity, adaptation, employment, family stressors, social integration, substance abuse, racism and harassment
- Ability to work regular evening and weekend hours
This is a Unionized Part-time permanent position
Hours: 7 hours per week
How to apply:
Please apply electronically with a cover letter and resume, as one attachment, by Monday, October 30, 2017, at noon to:
Email: [email protected] with “SPYW 2017-19” in the subject line
The Jane/Finch Centre is an equal opportunity employer.