Recent questions

Ask a Question!

Question asked on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 07:57

Hi, I'm in my second year and my parents paid for my university for the first year but due to family problems I am no longer in contact with them.

I have no job and I'm a permanent resident of Canada. Please advise me on what I should do. My parents will not provide me with any of their documents or signatures for OSAP either. Do you think I will be able to get OSAP without parental information?


Hello Anum,

If you want to apply for OSAP without signatures or supporting documentations from your parents, there are two scenerios to consider:

Scenerio One: Have you been out of high school for more than four years? I understand you are a second year university student, but prior to your first year, were you out of school for four or more years? If that's the case, then you can apply for OSAP without your parents signatures. 

Scenerio Two: If you have not been out of high school for more than four years (for example, you went straight from high school to university), then you will need supporting documentation and signatures from your parents. If you cannot obtain these, you must give OSAP a good reason for why you can't (for example, a restraining order, or police report). 

You may even be 18 or over, but because you have not been out of high school for more than four years, you will have to get your parents signatures for your application. 

Any questions you may have regadring OSAP are best answered by the financial aid office at your school. Your financial aid office should be the first place to start if you have questions about current or future OSAP loans.   

Since each students' situation is unique, contacting the financial aid office is the best place to start. 

Set up an appointment with them and explain your situation and they should be able to assist you further. I hope that answers your question! 


Question asked on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 07:59

I live with my boyfriend and he is abusive but my home is too they are. Instantly putting me down and their is never any food and my brother is aggressive so I'm scared to leave my room that is the reason I moved with my boyfriend , he turned out to be an abuser and very aggressive himself I have a job but I only make 200 every two weeks .

I'm scared of shelters which is why I haven't gone for I have been before and I was scared and my stuff was stolen n I never had a place to go to during the day . I wanna get out of this it's been 2 years I've been with him and I need Out but I'm scared to leave not cause hell hurt me but because I'm be all alone with no one to be there for me this is why also I haven't left I'm scared of being alone and forgotten and to go down hill and be let with nothing.i am 17 and i am with a 25 year old I know now what I did was wrong .

All I wanted was to be cared about and when he did it felt good which is another reason why I don't wanna leave . I'm scared no one will care for me or love me I'm tired of being hurt by the ones who are supposed to love me, can you help me ?



Thank you for your question.

Although you might feel that you're alone, there are people that can help you. Have you considered speaking to a counseller at KidsHelpPhone

You can reach them at 1-800-668-6868. If you would rather contact them online, you can do so as well by visiting their online forum.

I realize you have had a bad experience at a youth shelter, but you if you need a place to stay or need more help and advice on your situation, try contacting anyone of these organizations. They are all youth-oriented:

Covenant House - 416-593-4849
Delisle Youth Services - 416-482-0081
Eva's Place - 416-441-4060
Homelessness and Housing Help Service - 416-645-6000 x 1100
If you are not in the city of Toronto, you can also speak to someone at the Assaulted Women's Helpline. You can reach them here:
  1. GTA: 416.863.0511
  2. GTA TTY: 416.364.8762
  3. TOLL-FREE: 1.866.863.0511
  4. TOLL-FREE TTY: 1.866.863.7868
  5. #SAFE (#7233) on your Bell, Rogers, Fido or Telus cell phone

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.


Question asked on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 07:45

In Ontario, if you are a new driver with a G1 license, are people allowed in the car with you when you drive other than the accompanying experienced driver in the front, and if so, how many?



Thanks for your questoin.

If you are a driver with a G1 license, an experienced driver must be in the front seat of the car with you at all times. 

Other people are allowed in the vehicle but they cannot exceed the passenger to seatbelt ratio (for example, if you have three seatbelts in the back seat, you can only have three passegers in the backseat).

Hope this help.


Question asked on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 09:29

Do you know when the 2015-2016 application will be available? And is anyone studying abroad?


Hello Candice,

Thank you for your question. 

Generally, the online application is available in mid-spring. But you can apply online throughout the year. 

When you can apply will depend on the length of your program. You can find the exact time on the OSAP website.

If you cannot pay for school but need money, you can also consider applying for scholarships, grants and bursaries. Unlike an OSAP loan, you won't have to pay those back. 

You can find a list of scholarships, grants and bursaries on our site.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.


Question asked on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 09:21

Hi, I'm a new immigrant here and wanted to have a drivers license. After how many days I will get my license after passing G1. I need it as photo proof ID.


Hello Raj,

Thank you for your question. Once you have competed your G1 test, you can expect to wait anywhere between 2-8 weeks for your ID to come in the mail. In the meantime, you are permitted to drive with your G1 licence provided you drive with a fully licensed driver who has:: 

  • at least four years of driving experience
  • a blood alcohol level of less than .05 (if this person is 21 and under, their blood alcohol level should be zero)

I hope that helps,