Ask a Question!

Question asked on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 00:41

Hello, I am 16 years old and my home life is not well. There is lots of neglect and no support for my various mental illnesses. Both me and my social worker think that I would be better off living on my own but I do not have the finatial support to do so. I am a full time student with a part time job making $10.55 an hour, but that is obviously not enough to live off of. Whenever I do research on if I am eligable for social assistance (money) it always says something like: If you are 16 or 17 you may be eligable "under certain circumstances" I was wondering what that means? Like how bad does my life have to be? Would I be eligable?

Comment:

Hello,

Thank you for your question.

If you are 16 years old and want to apply for social assistance, you can be eligible under certain circumstances. “Under certain circumstances” means it depends on your situation at home.

To be eligible for Ontario Works, you might have to show an OW worker that your parents will not let you live at home, or it is harmful for you to live there. The OW worker will evaluate your specific situation and take into consideration your overall well-being, including your mental illnesses and neglect. You can find more information here on how to apply for OW.

Ontario Works can also help you to find a better job by providing you with job counselling and job-specific training while giving access to basic education so that you finish your high school education. You can find more information on OW through their website here.

Your social worker has more knowledge about your circumstances; talk to them about applying for Ontario Works. You can begin the application process by visiting your nearest Ontario Works office. Find the nearest OW office here.

If you are looking to find support for your mental health, you can find some options here. You can also visit a community health centre near you.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow-up to your question/situation.

Pooja - NewYouth.ca

Question asked on Wednesday, August 3, 2016 - 15:46

Hi

if I'm Syrian refugee in Canada and I apply for work permit

Do I need to pay the 155$ fees?

Comment:

Hello,

Thank you for your question.

If you are a refugee claimant applying for a work permit or a Social Insurance Number (SIN), you do not need to pay any application fees.

However, you do need to prove that you must work to support yourself otherwise you’ll need social assistance (welfare). You can find more information on how to apply for a work permit as a refugee claimant by reading the article here. It’s a good idea to visit a settlement counsellor or settlement agency in your area to help you with any further questions you may have. They can also help you fill out your application forms in person.

I hope that helps.

Pooja - NewYouth.ca

Question asked on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 17:58

Hi,

I am in university and i moving into an apartment on my schools campus. The rent is 780 a month. And I also have my tuition. I also applied for osap. However, the apartment is under my room mates name not mine. It's a two bedroom and we split the rent. I am looking for a job.

Can I apply for social assistance even though I applied to osap?

Comment:

Hello,

Thank you for your question.

Yes, you can apply for Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) to help with living costs while receiving OSAP.

However, you cannot apply for Ontario Works while receiving OSAP unless you are married or are a sole-support parent. In that case, you could be eligible to receive OW if the amount of money is you get is less than the OW funds.

For more information, you can refer to the OSAP guidelines for students in special circumstances.

I hope that helps.

Pooja - NewYouth.ca

Question asked on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 00:27

Hi there. My mom is currently on ODSP, and the two of us live alone together. When I turn 18, if I get a job, will any income be subtracted from her ODSP money? Will I lose all medical coverage? I really want to go to post-secondary, but I'm very scared about money and how we will pay for university.

Comment:

Hello,

Thank you for your question.

If you get a job, it is possible that your mom’s ODSP funds will be effected. According to ODSP you are only eligible for financial assistance:

“if the costs of your household’s basic living expenses are more than your household’s income and assets (as determined by your ODSP caseworker).”

Your mom is also required to report any monthly household earnings. The amount of reduction of ODSP benefits will depend on how much income you earn. You can find more information on the ODSP website.

I hope that helps.

Pooja - NewYouth.ca

Question asked on Thursday, July 7, 2016 - 16:45

I work with a student who is attempting to get his G1 written test. He has heard that if he goes in and requests for someone to read him the questions on the test and he writes the answers, that will work. Is this true?

OR is he required to read the questions himself?

Comment:

Hello,

Thank you for your question.

If the student you work with is concerned about language barriers to get his G1, he has the option to write the test in 1 of 20 different languages available. He also has the option of bringing a language translator to the test, in which case he would have to make an appointment for a verbal test administration. For more information, you can ask him to check the Drive Test website.

I hope that helps.

Pooja - NewYouth.ca

Question asked on Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 21:46

Do I have to pay child support if the child moves out of residence, is 18 years old and on ontario works

Comment:

Hello,

Thank you for your question.

According to the Federal Child Support Guidelines:

“The Federal Guidelines set out specific rules for calculating support for a child under the age of majority. For a child at or over the age of majority (the age of majority is 18 years in Ontario), you can use the same rules. Or, if you find that this approach is not appropriate, you may agree to base the amount of support for an older child on:

• the child’s needs, means and other circumstances; and
  • the ability of each of you to contribute financially.”

You can find more information here on paying child support for a child over 18 years old.

I hope that helps.

Pooja - NewYouth.ca

Question asked on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 13:11

Hello

My son is in college now as a full time student he gets OSAP. Now does he have to reapply for OSAP for next year or does he only have to send in the confirmation forms. Please help

Comment:

Hello,

Thank you for your question.

OSAP determines the eligibilty of students every year.

Your son has to reapply but OSAP will have most of the information to make the process faster and easier. However, you have to make a new application every year. You will need your OAN (OSAP Access Number) and your password from when you made your first application. You can log in here.

I hope that helps.

Jai - NewYouth.ca

Question asked on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 13:46

How long after G2 road test do I have to wait to go for my G license.

Comment:

Hello,

Thank you for your question.

After getting your G2 road test licence, you will have to wait one year (12 months) before you can take your G licence.

For your information and to find out about fees and restrictions you have as a G2 driver, please visit this page.

I hope that helps,

Jai - NewYouth.ca

Question asked on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 16:36

I am 16 and pregnant and I know my parents won't let me stay at home. I recently quit working at McDonalds so I have no job and I want to have my baby and finish school. What can OW do to help?

Comment:

Hello,

Thank you for your question.

If you are 16-years-old, you can get social assistance only “under special circumstances”. You can find more information here on how to apply.

Ontario Works can help you in several ways, for example:

• income support to help with the costs of basic needs, like food, clothing and shelter
  • health benefits for you and your child
  • workshops on resume writing and interviewing

Ontario Works can also help you find a job. They will provide you with job counselling and job-specific training with access to basic education, so you can finish high school or improve your language skills.

You can also find more information about Ontario Works from their official website here.

When you think you are ready to begin the application process, you can find your nearest OW office here.

If, for whatever reason, you are denied OW, you can appeal the decision by contacting a local Community Legal Clinic in your area.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

Jai
NewYouth.ca

Question asked on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 22:08

Hi,

i just wanted to know my brother lives in a subsidized house and now he is planning on moving in a couple of months and i have also applied for subsidy. Is it possible if i can move in to his apartment? If i tell the TCHC im on the list already i have 3 kids and i have nowhere to go.

Comment:

Hello,

Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, you cannot move into your brother's subisized apartment and takeover the unit. The apartment will go to the next person in the waiting list.

If you have also applied for subisidzed housing, you will have to wait until a unit is available to you. According to Housing Connections

The wait ranges from about one to five years for a bachelor; seven to ten years for a one-bedroom; five to ten years for a two-bedroom; ten to twelve years for a three- to four-bedroom; and four to six years for a five-bedroom home. You need to wait for your name to come up on the waiting list and for a vacancy in the size of unit in buildings you have chosen.

You can get more information from the tenant guide as well.

I hope that helps,