Ask a Question!

Question asked on Thursday, November 9, 2017 - 09:28

Hi im 17 year old teenager with a 16 year old sister looking for help. My sister and i are very uncomfortable living with our dad. He had harassed us in many ways to the point where he wont even give us privacy in our own bedrooms. He has kicked us out, hit us, and threatened us many times, and now i feel a bit of sexual harassment. I have called the student welfare many times but they  always saying that we already have a case under our names and they wont explain what they mean by case. He wont give us a dime for food cloths or anything. I dont even have a health card cuz he wouldn’t give me my canadian passport, which will soon also expire. Im having a hard time finding a job due to transportation and not having a phone so one is able to contact me. Please explain what i can do in this case. I really need to get out of there.

Comment:

Hello,

Thank you for your question. We’re sorry you are going through this.

Firstly, we need to make sure that you and your sister are safe. It sounds like you are having serious problems at home, we encourage you to contact 911 if you feel you are both in danger. The police is there first and foremost, to ensure your safety.

You mentioned not having access to a phone, if you do have access to an internet connection and a computer you can make free calls across the country with a Gmail Email account. All Gmail accounts are equip witth phone calling capabilities. You will need a computer with a built-in microphone, or hands-free headphones with a mic (earbuds) to make the call.

Have you considered speaking to a counsellor at KidsHelpPhone? You can reach them at 1-800-668-6868. If it’s easier for you to contact them online, you can go to their website Kidshelphone.ca and scroll to the bottom of the page and select “Chat with a counsellor”

Once you are ready to review your Ontario Works situation and seek financial assistance you can look up an Ontario Works office near you. It's best if you can go in person to an office and request to see a caseworker who will guide you through the process.

Please follow up with us to let us know the outcome of your situation. You can email us privately if you like at [email protected].org

We hope this helps!

NewYouth.ca Team

Question asked on Wednesday, November 8, 2017 - 19:14

Hello

I am in need of OW and am wondering what is the maximum amount I would receive for my rent food and basic needs

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question!

It really depends on your situation.

The amount of money you may receive from Ontario Works will depend on:

• if you are alone or have a family and size of family
  • your living situation and what age you are  in terms of qulifying (see I'm under 18 how can I apply for OW)
  • income (if you are working or in school)
  • housing costs

You will need to contact an OW office near you to dicsuss this with a caseworker who will assess your situation to determine if and how much you are elegible for.

We hope this helps.

NewYouth.ca team

Still can't find what you need? Tell us what information you would like to see on our website at [email protected]

Question asked on Tuesday, November 7, 2017 - 06:51
Comment:

Hello and thank you for your comment.

We are sorry you are experiencing this. It would really help if you could explain your situation a little bit so we can offer you the proper recommendations.

In the meantime, make sure to tell an adult about your situation. Speak to a parent, a teacher, your prinicipal or student counsellor if this is happening in school. You can also call the Kids Help Phone at 1-800-668-6868 or visit www.kidshelpphone.ca

For more information on bullying, you can also visit the Ontario.ca page and read Bullying - we can all make it stop

We hope this helps!

NewYouth.ca team

Question asked on Sunday, November 5, 2017 - 21:15

The OHIP+ program will cover common medications, but the ODB does not always cover doses appropriate for children/youth. For instance, fluoxetine (prozac) is covered but not the 10mg dose. Adults are started on 20 mgs and if the dose needs to be increased, it is increased 20 mgs at a time. Kids, however, are started on 10 mgs and the dose is increased 10 mgs at a time. This means that children/youth in families that cannot afford to pay/do not have coverage are overmedicated. Will this now be a problem for all kids. (I am concerned that extended health plans may no longer cover meds on the ODB for kids.)

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question!

As of January 1, 2018 the Ontario government will provide free medication to all children under the age of 24 as part of the new OHIP+ program.

In the meantime, if you still have questions about the dosage required and your ODB plan you can contact ServiceOntario who will direct you to the right area of the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care’s, Ontario Public Drug Plan services:

ServiceOntario

INFOline:1-866-532-3161 (Toll-free)
In Toronto, (416) 314-5518
TTY 1-800-387-5559.
In Toronto, TTY 416-327-4282

We hope this helps!

NewYouth.ca team

Question asked on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 17:49

Hi, I am 16 years old I am in high school. I want to know if there if anyway I could be put on OW because all me and my parents do is fight and yell at each other, there is no abuse but I just can’t keep going on like this because it is showing in my school work that I am disacted. Please can you put me in contact with someone who could answer a few questions.

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question!

Please read our "I'm under 18, how can I apply for Ontario Works (Welfare)" for information on getting financial assitance and for an Ontario Works office near you. You will need to make an appointment and consult an OW case worker to explore what options you have.

We hope this helps!

NewYouth.ca team

Question asked on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 08:50

I am still in school and am planning on living with my significant other and his family I can not live at home as my mom does not support me financially anymore my boyfriend works full time he lives in thamesville and I would need help with money wise because I am still in school so I would need help with paying rent food and clothing just need some help well I'm still in school

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question!

You will need to consult an Ontario Works (OW) worker to determine your situation and see what you are elegible for. You can start an OW claim by visiting an office in your area. Please read our "I'm under 18, how can I apply for Ontario Works (Welfare)" for information on getting financial assitance and to find an office near you.

We hope this helps!

NewYouth.ca team

Question asked on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 17:15

If I am living with my significant other and there parents but the living conditions are bad for my significant other and to myself because of unrelated issues and mental problems in the house we moved in there when mental health for sig declined and was unable to support us do we or myself apply for ow for we can leave the volatile situation and be normal again sig can't get job due to mental health at the moment but is receiving help from cmha and will get job again i am 16 sig is 19 lived in own for 2 years parents still collecting for me but not supporting at all

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question!

You will need to contact an OW office to discuss your situation. Please visit our  "I'm under 18, how can I apply for OW?" page for more information on getting and applying for Ontario Works.

We hope this helps.

NewYouth.ca team

Question asked on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 11:44

If my passport is expired , but less then 5 years expired can I use it for ID to get my G1?

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question!

Unfortunately, an expired passport is not acceptable proof of ID to apply for your G1 drivers' licence. Please visit the "Acceptable documents" page of Ontario.ca or Settlement.org "How do I apply for a dirvers' licence" page for more information.

We hope this helps.

NewYouth.ca team

Question asked on Thursday, October 5, 2017 - 09:27

Im 16, i cant take it at home anymore. I suffer from anxiety and depression and my moms not helping me at all. She constantly puts me down, kicks me out, ect. I just need to get out. I am in school and have a part time job but i dont make enough to get a small apartment.. can i please get an email to contact someone so i can get some help..? Thanks in advance.

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question!

Please visit our page "I'm under 18, how can I apply for Ontario Works (Welfare)?"  for information on how to apply for financial support through Ontario Works (OW) and how to find an OW office in your area.

If you you are suffering from depression or other mental health issues, you can also visit the Health section of our website where there are some great resources for you to find help like  "Where can I get mental health help".

We hope this helps.

NewYouth.ca team

Question asked on Tuesday, October 3, 2017 - 09:10

Im currently living at home, but things between me and my mother are getting harder and harder to deal with. I feel like im losing my mind and i just dont know how much more i can take. Is it possible for me to get on student welfare? I am in school and i have a part time job but it isnt enough for me to afford my own place so i cant move out on my own. I dont have many hours because of school, i dont want to overwhelm myself. But is it possible for me to get on OW?

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question!

We hope this helps.