Recent questions

Ask a Question!

Question asked on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 05:08


So I was told I would need jaw surgery and I heard that OHIP may cover that. I was wondering how much it would cover?



Hello Maggie, 

Thank you for your question. 

In order to be eligible for OHIP, please ensure that you have an Ontario Health Card. 

If you currently don't have a health card, you can get one in person at a Service Ontario location.

OHIP covers a wide range of health services; however, it does not pay for services that are not medically necessary, such as cosmetic surgery. If you need a description of insured services, please contact your nearest OHIP Claims office

I hope this helps!

Jai -

Question asked on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 06:09

I'm currently on OW and I'm staying at a shelter with my 2 year old daughter. Im also 21 weeks pregnant and I just wanted to know... Would OW help me with certain moving necessities?

Moving costs, a bed.? I don't have a bed right now but when I find a place thats something I'll need asap.. could I find such help via OW? any suggestions for moving or furniture would be appreciated thank you.


Thank you for your question!

Ontario Works may be able to help you with your moving and furniture needs, but you will have to speak to your assigned case worker. Each case is handled differently and you will have to provide more details to be eligible for extra assistance (or "special allowance"). 

For more informaiton, check out this chart.

To find your local Ontaro Works office, check out this page.

You can also find general information about Ontario Works benefits here.

I hope that helps,

Jai -

Question asked on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 05:53

My property manager thinks yes but not sure. My school head adviser says its not considered income anymore and I would like to know as OSAP has sent me more money then I need and therefore don't feel

I should have to go into debt of 20000 dollars if forced to use for rent especially since my course is only 3200 and I have enough to pay my subsidized rent for what it is calculated for.

I didn't ask for this amount how can they force me into debt when I have none as of right now?


Thank you for your question.

If you are the primary head-of-the-house (meaning if the unit/apartment is under your name), then OSAP does affect your rent. If you go on OSAP as a full-time student and are not working, in Toronto, you will pay the minimum rent of $85

This may increase if you decide to work part-time while you are receivng OSAP.

If you are not the primary head-of-the-house, for example, if you live with your parents,than going to school and applying for OSAP does not affect your rent. 

I hope that helps.

Jai -

Question asked on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 06:11

Hello I'm 17.

I'm currently in high school grade 12 and I ran out of my parents house cause of some physical and emotional abuse. I'm staying at a friends house and I do have a part time job but it won't cover costs of rent of an apartment I can stay in cause I can't stay at my friends forever! I've spent months trying to get my household safer with the drug use and abuse and it worked for a month just for my parents to lie to a doctor again for my meds to share!

Now I need welfare! To help but I DO NOT want my parents in this cause they will make crap worse. They will force me back in the house and as a "youth" no one listens to me. So I'm back in the crap I started. I need welfare or else I will not live like this and I have no family and I'm not going back to my parents.

So please what should I do??



Thank you for your question.

If you're having problems at home, there are people that can help you. Have you considered speaking to a counseller at KidsHelpPhone

You can reach them at 1-800-668-6868. If you would rather contact them online, you can do so as well by visiting their online forum.

If you'd like to speak to someone in person and can travel to the Chatam-Kent Women's Centre, you can also speak to a youth councelor there. You can reach them at: 519-354-6360.

As for applying for welfare, according to CLEO:

If you are 16 or 17 years old, you can get social assistance only “under special circumstances”. 

You might have to show OW that your parents will not let you live at home, or that it is harmful for you to live there. For example, you might be able to get assistance if your parents are abusing you physically or emotionally.

And in most cases, the OW worker must be sure that your parents cannot or will not support you financially. Even if you may be able to get financial support from your parents in the future, you might qualify for assistance in the meantime.

You can read more about it here.

You may want to speak to an OW advisor about your living conditions. 

You can also find more information about Ontario Works from their official website here.

When you think you are ready to begin the application process, you can find your nearest OW office here.

If, for whatever reason, you are denied OW, you can appeal the decision by contacting a local Community Legal Clinic in your area.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.


Question asked on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 07:17

Hi, i got my G1 3 months ago, i was just wondering if i was to take driving school now, would i have to wait 8 months from the day i start driving school to get my G2, or would it be 8 months from the day i took the written test (G1)? (which would leave me with 5 months before getting my G2)



Thank you for your question.

Once you receive your G1, you have 5 years to get your G before your license expires. 

If you decide to take driving school classes after your G1, you will be able to apply for your G2 in 8 months from the date you received your G1.

You will need to show proof that you successfully completed your courses.

You can learn more about it here.

Hope that answers your question.


Question asked on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 07:57

Hi, I'm in my second year and my parents paid for my university for the first year but due to family problems I am no longer in contact with them.

I have no job and I'm a permanent resident of Canada. Please advise me on what I should do. My parents will not provide me with any of their documents or signatures for OSAP either. Do you think I will be able to get OSAP without parental information?


Hello Anum,

If you want to apply for OSAP without signatures or supporting documentations from your parents, there are two scenerios to consider:

Scenerio One: Have you been out of high school for more than four years? I understand you are a second year university student, but prior to your first year, were you out of school for four or more years? If that's the case, then you can apply for OSAP without your parents signatures. 

Scenerio Two: If you have not been out of high school for more than four years (for example, you went straight from high school to university), then you will need supporting documentation and signatures from your parents. If you cannot obtain these, you must give OSAP a good reason for why you can't (for example, a restraining order, or police report). 

You may even be 18 or over, but because you have not been out of high school for more than four years, you will have to get your parents signatures for your application. 

Any questions you may have regadring OSAP are best answered by the financial aid office at your school. Your financial aid office should be the first place to start if you have questions about current or future OSAP loans.   

Since each students' situation is unique, contacting the financial aid office is the best place to start. 

Set up an appointment with them and explain your situation and they should be able to assist you further. I hope that answers your question! 


Question asked on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 07:59

I live with my boyfriend and he is abusive but my home is too they are. Instantly putting me down and their is never any food and my brother is aggressive so I'm scared to leave my room that is the reason I moved with my boyfriend , he turned out to be an abuser and very aggressive himself I have a job but I only make 200 every two weeks .

I'm scared of shelters which is why I haven't gone for I have been before and I was scared and my stuff was stolen n I never had a place to go to during the day . I wanna get out of this it's been 2 years I've been with him and I need Out but I'm scared to leave not cause hell hurt me but because I'm be all alone with no one to be there for me this is why also I haven't left I'm scared of being alone and forgotten and to go down hill and be let with nothing.i am 17 and i am with a 25 year old I know now what I did was wrong .

All I wanted was to be cared about and when he did it felt good which is another reason why I don't wanna leave . I'm scared no one will care for me or love me I'm tired of being hurt by the ones who are supposed to love me, can you help me ?



Thank you for your question.

Although you might feel that you're alone, there are people that can help you. Have you considered speaking to a counseller at KidsHelpPhone

You can reach them at 1-800-668-6868. If you would rather contact them online, you can do so as well by visiting their online forum.

I realize you have had a bad experience at a youth shelter, but you if you need a place to stay or need more help and advice on your situation, try contacting anyone of these organizations. They are all youth-oriented:

Covenant House - 416-593-4849
Delisle Youth Services - 416-482-0081
Eva's Place - 416-441-4060
Homelessness and Housing Help Service - 416-645-6000 x 1100
If you are not in the city of Toronto, you can also speak to someone at the Assaulted Women's Helpline. You can reach them here:
  1. GTA: 416.863.0511
  2. GTA TTY: 416.364.8762
  3. TOLL-FREE: 1.866.863.0511
  4. TOLL-FREE TTY: 1.866.863.7868
  5. #SAFE (#7233) on your Bell, Rogers, Fido or Telus cell phone

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.


Question asked on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 07:45

In Ontario, if you are a new driver with a G1 license, are people allowed in the car with you when you drive other than the accompanying experienced driver in the front, and if so, how many?



Thanks for your questoin.

If you are a driver with a G1 license, an experienced driver must be in the front seat of the car with you at all times. 

Other people are allowed in the vehicle but they cannot exceed the passenger to seatbelt ratio (for example, if you have three seatbelts in the back seat, you can only have three passegers in the backseat).

Hope this help.


Question asked on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 09:29

Do you know when the 2015-2016 application will be available? And is anyone studying abroad?


Hello Candice,

Thank you for your question. 

Generally, the online application is available in mid-spring. But you can apply online throughout the year. 

When you can apply will depend on the length of your program. You can find the exact time on the OSAP website.

If you cannot pay for school but need money, you can also consider applying for scholarships, grants and bursaries. Unlike an OSAP loan, you won't have to pay those back. 

You can find a list of scholarships, grants and bursaries on our site.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.


Question asked on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 09:21

Hi, I'm a new immigrant here and wanted to have a drivers license. After how many days I will get my license after passing G1. I need it as photo proof ID.


Hello Raj,

Thank you for your question. Once you have competed your G1 test, you can expect to wait anywhere between 2-8 weeks for your ID to come in the mail. In the meantime, you are permitted to drive with your G1 licence provided you drive with a fully licensed driver who has:: 

  • at least four years of driving experience
  • a blood alcohol level of less than .05 (if this person is 21 and under, their blood alcohol level should be zero)

I hope that helps,