Ask a Question!

Question asked on Friday, April 20, 2018 - 08:04

Hi,

I just came here from Europe because my brother got accepted in hockey team so I would like to stay here, work and stay here for life if it's possible. I am 21 year old. Is there any possibility to stay here and get my permanet visa? Right now I only have visitor visa.

Liv

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question.

It's great that you're enjoying your time in Canada!

If you'd like to work and stay here permanently, we suggest that you apply for a work permit. To do so, you'll have to visit a Canadian visa office in the country where you live, in the country where you're a citizen of, or at a Canadian embassy in the United States of America. The application to work in Canada is available online.

Remember, you can only stay in Canada on a visitor's for 6 months. If you'd like to extend your stay, you must apply 30 days before your status expires. Visit the Government of Canada's website to find out more about extending your stay in Canada as a visitor.

We hope this helps.

NewYouth.ca team

Question asked on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 05:39

my daughter is 16 years old she has left home was living with my mother she’s a troubled teen who is aggressive, uses drugs, is very angry,suicidal, and so much more I let the school know and they helped her get Ontario works and told her to get her own apartment she doesn’t need Ontario works my mother provides her with everything why would the government give a 16 year old child money to use it to buy drugs this is crazy and insane she has 2 safe homes to live in but she choses not to because she is involved with the wrong crowd of friends and she’s a follower this is not right no 16 year old child who is unstable should be getting her own apartment and be approved for Ontario works please help thank you

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question.

If your daughter has filed an application with Ontario Works, and they have determined that she's eligible to receive aid, then you can't appeal that decision on her behalf, even as a parent. Her privacy and confidentiality are protected.

It seems like your daughter may be going through a lot of personal struggles. It may be a good idea to look into mental health resources for her.

We're sorry for the challenges you and your daughter are facing.

We hope this helps.

NewYouth.ca team

Still can't find what you need? Tell us what information you would like to see on our website at [email protected].

Question asked on Friday, February 23, 2018 - 02:01

After three years of license, what is next? Renew a license before work again?

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question.

Once you go through a babysitting training course, you don't have to take it again. Most childcare training requires you to know how to administer first aid. If you feel like you need to refresh your memory, you can take a course again. The Red Cross offers a babysitting course you can take.

We hope this helps.

NewYouth.ca team

Question asked on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 - 10:34

Who is the author of the article What is OSAP?

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question.

All articles are written by staff of OCASI, or in partnership with other organizations.

We hope this helps.

NewYouth.ca team

Question asked on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 14:50

I was wondering how I could post questions on the Kids Help Phone site? I was looking through a section called "Counselor Q&A" and I really wanted to post something there as well, however I was unable to do so. I looked through the website, but all I could find was the live chat and phonecall. Please guide me. Thank you for addressing this question.

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question.

The Kids Help Phone doesn't have a public forum where you can post questions. However, there are a number of ways you can contact Kids Help Phone to get your question answered privately:

• Call Kids Help Phone at 1-800-668-6868
  • Use the contact form to send Kids Help Phone a direct message
  • Look through the frequently asked questions to see if your question has already been answered

Finally, if you want to give the Kids Help Phone feedback, fill out their questionnaire.

We hope this helps.

NewYouth.ca team

Question asked on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 00:10

Im 16 and moved out, my mom Locke me and my brother out when I was 13, CAS put me with my grandparents and they have aloud me to move out but return if I need, due to aneixty an depression it's hard to work, can I apply for welfare even if my parents allow me home?

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question.

We're sorry for the difficult situation you're in.

You can certainly apply for welfare, or Ontario Works, even if you're under 18. Because your situation is unique and you're still underage, we suggest that you go to an Ontario Works office and speak to a case worker. They'll be able to figure out if you're eligible and guide you through the process.

Remember, to receive Ontario Works you must:

• live in Ontario
  • be in financial need (your household doesn’t have sufficient financial resources to meet basic living expenses)
  • be willing to make reasonable efforts to find, prepare for and keep a job (unless you have specific circumstances that temporarily prevent you from doing so, such as an illness or caregiving responsibilities)

There's more information about applying for Ontario Works if you're under 18 on our website. Learn as much as you can and gather all the documents you need before going to an Ontario Works office.

We hope this helps.

NewYouth.ca team

Question asked on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 15:30

So I'm trying to move out of my parents  house because theres just been a lot of arguing and abuse in the past. I can' find a job and I'm thinking to apply for welfare just so I can be able to pay for rent and groceries until I can find a job, but I need the money before I move out because I dont have anywhere else to go. Is that possible ?

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question.

We're sorry for the difficult situation you're in. Your health and safety is most important, and if you feel like you're in danger, please get help immediately.

You can contact a Legal Aid clinic in your area and speak to an advisor for a free consultation on what your options are. You can also call or chat online with a counsellor at Kidshelpphone.ca.

Welfare, known as Ontario Works, is certainly an option you should look into. To be eligble for welfare, you must:

• live in Ontario

To get the best help, we suggest going to an Ontario Works office and meeting with a case worker. They'll be able to answer all of your questions and guide you through the process. Make sure you bring all the necessary documents to your appointment.

If you're underage, please read our article on  applying for Ontario Works if you're under 18 on our website.

We hope this helps.

NewYouth.ca team

Question asked on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 18:54

Do I have full control over the osap loan given to me

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question!

Once you've applied for OSAP, you’ll receive your money from the National Student Loans Service Centre, which deposits funds into your bank account and to your school.

Find more information about when and how your funding is released here.

We hope this helps,

NewYouth.ca team

Question asked on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 12:54

My 17 year old brother has no identification, no income, and no stable living arrangements. How can I help him get all these things?

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question.

We're sorry for the difficult situation you and your brother are in.

To get identification, we suggest that you try to track your birth certificate down. You can then apply for a health card, an Ontario Photo Card or your PR card. You can visit a Service Ontario to get more help for your unique situation.

Until your brother finds a job, he can he can apply for welfare, or Ontario Works, even if he's under 18. Because his situation is unique and he's still underage, we suggest that he goes to an Ontario Works office and speaks to a case worker. They'll be able to figure out his eligibility and guide him through the process.

There's more information about applying for Ontario Works if you're under 18 on our website. Learn as much as you can and gather all the documents you need before going to an Ontario Works office.

We also have articles about affordable housing and shelters

We hope this helps.

NewYouth.ca team

Question asked on Friday, January 12, 2018 - 19:30

Im 16 years old and l want to get my G1 how many pieces of lD do l need to bring

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question.

You will need to bring original identification that shows your legal name, date of birth and your signature. See a full list for accepted documents.

Accepted identity documents for Canadian citizens are:

• passport (Canadian or foreign)
  • Canadian Citizenship Card with photo
  • Secure Certificate of Indian Status Card (issued on or after December 15, 2009 by Indian and Northern Affairs Canada)
  • Ontario Photo Card

Accepted identity documents for permanent residents are:

• Permanent Resident (PR) Card
  • Record of Landing (IMM 1000)
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292) accompanied by a valid passport from country of origin
  • Ontario Photo Card

Accepted identity documents for temporary residents are:

• Study Permit / Student Authorization (IMM 1442)
  • Work Permit / Employment Authorization (IMM 1442)
  • Visitor Record (IMM 1442)
  • Temporary Resident Permit (IMM 1442)
  • Refugee Status Claim (IMM 1434)
  • Acknowledgement of Intent to Claim Refugee Status (IMM 7703) with photo
  • Report Pursuant to the Immigration Act (IMM 1442) with photo
  • Ontario Photo Card

For more information, read our article on how to get a driver's license.

We hope this helps.