Recent questions

Ask a Question!

Question asked on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 22:08


i just wanted to know my brother lives in a subsidized house and now he is planning on moving in a couple of months and i have also applied for subsidy. Is it possible if i can move in to his apartment? If i tell the TCHC im on the list already i have 3 kids and i have nowhere to go. 



Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, you cannot move into your brother's subisized apartment and takeover the unit. The apartment will go to the next person in the waiting list. 

If you have also applied for subisidzed housing, you will have to wait until a unit is available to you. According to Housing Connections

The wait ranges from about one to five years for a bachelor; seven to ten years for a one-bedroom; five to ten years for a two-bedroom; ten to twelve years for a three- to four-bedroom; and four to six years for a five-bedroom home. You need to wait for your name to come up on the waiting list and for a vacancy in the size of unit in buildings you have chosen.

You can get more information from the tenant guide as well.

I hope that helps,

Jai -

Question asked on Wednesday, January 6, 2016 - 12:46


i saw this question answered, but i am the head of the house, i think. I am 24, and my name is on the lease. My mom is on ODSP, and my younger sister is in college. So i have started school in January, and they are asking how much i am receiving from OSAP. How much rent will they determine ?

my mom, me and my younger sister live in the apartment.

I dont want to provide them the OSAP information if our rent will be market rent.



Thank you for the follow up question.

The important thing to remember about your situatuion: OSAP is not considered income and will not affect your rent. If you have a job or are receiving money from Ontario Works (OW) or Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP), your rent will be affected because they are considered income. 

If you are a full-time student receiving OSAP, you may be asked to provide a timetable or schedule from your school and your rent will be set to the available minimum.

I hope that helps.

Jai - 

Question asked on Tuesday, January 5, 2016 - 00:09

I have been stopped on grade 10 end I failed it on the next year my parents told me that we did not have money so am straggling too much. This year I'm turning 20 years.



Thank you for your question. 

Not being able to pay should never keep you from attending school. In Ontario, there are options:

To learn how you can pay for post-secondary school or ways you can save for school, check out this page.

Go to the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) website to learn more about applying for OSAP.

For a quick overview on student financial assistance, the Facts about OSAP video covers everything you need to know.

If you want to know how you can pay back your OSAP loan once you are finished school, the short video Repaying your OSAP can help you get started.

Before you start, see if you are eligible and understand what you need to get 30% Off Ontario tuition.

If you don't want to apply for OSAP, you can also try to find scholarships, grants and bursaries. You can learn more about what scholarships, grants and bursaries on this page.

I hope that helps!

Jai -


Question asked on Monday, January 4, 2016 - 05:02

Hi, Im a refugee in from 3 years and I want to go to high school.

I can't go because I don't have any identification in Canada my id is expired.
Plz help me?


Hello Mehdi,

Thank you for your question.

In Ontario, every child has the right to attend school (secondary-school or earlier). 

It is against the law for a school to refuse to admit a child who is under 18 years of age only because the child or the child’s parent or guardian is in Canada without immigration status or papers.

You can learn more about your rights as a student here.

You can find a school board here.

Once you have found the school you want to attend, arrange a meeting with your parents and the guidance counselor or principal. They will be able to help you enrol in the school.

I hope that helps and good luck!

Jai -

Question asked on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 05:08


So I was told I would need jaw surgery and I heard that OHIP may cover that. I was wondering how much it would cover?



Hello Maggie, 

Thank you for your question. 

In order to be eligible for OHIP, please ensure that you have an Ontario Health Card. 

If you currently don't have a health card, you can get one in person at a Service Ontario location.

OHIP covers a wide range of health services; however, it does not pay for services that are not medically necessary, such as cosmetic surgery. If you need a description of insured services, please contact your nearest OHIP Claims office

I hope this helps!

Jai -

Question asked on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 06:09

I'm currently on OW and I'm staying at a shelter with my 2 year old daughter. Im also 21 weeks pregnant and I just wanted to know... Would OW help me with certain moving necessities?

Moving costs, a bed.? I don't have a bed right now but when I find a place thats something I'll need asap.. could I find such help via OW? any suggestions for moving or furniture would be appreciated thank you.


Thank you for your question!

Ontario Works may be able to help you with your moving and furniture needs, but you will have to speak to your assigned case worker. Each case is handled differently and you will have to provide more details to be eligible for extra assistance (or "special allowance"). 

For more informaiton, check out this chart.

To find your local Ontaro Works office, check out this page.

You can also find general information about Ontario Works benefits here.

I hope that helps,

Jai -

Question asked on Monday, November 16, 2015 - 05:53

My property manager thinks yes but not sure. My school head adviser says its not considered income anymore and I would like to know as OSAP has sent me more money then I need and therefore don't feel

I should have to go into debt of 20000 dollars if forced to use for rent especially since my course is only 3200 and I have enough to pay my subsidized rent for what it is calculated for.

I didn't ask for this amount how can they force me into debt when I have none as of right now?


Thank you for your question.

If you are the primary head-of-the-house (meaning if the unit/apartment is under your name), then OSAP does affect your rent. If you go on OSAP as a full-time student and are not working, in Toronto, you will pay the minimum rent of $85

This may increase if you decide to work part-time while you are receivng OSAP.

If you are not the primary head-of-the-house, for example, if you live with your parents,than going to school and applying for OSAP does not affect your rent. 

I hope that helps.

Jai -

Question asked on Friday, September 11, 2015 - 06:11

Hello I'm 17.

I'm currently in high school grade 12 and I ran out of my parents house cause of some physical and emotional abuse. I'm staying at a friends house and I do have a part time job but it won't cover costs of rent of an apartment I can stay in cause I can't stay at my friends forever! I've spent months trying to get my household safer with the drug use and abuse and it worked for a month just for my parents to lie to a doctor again for my meds to share!

Now I need welfare! To help but I DO NOT want my parents in this cause they will make crap worse. They will force me back in the house and as a "youth" no one listens to me. So I'm back in the crap I started. I need welfare or else I will not live like this and I have no family and I'm not going back to my parents.

So please what should I do??



Thank you for your question.

If you're having problems at home, there are people that can help you. Have you considered speaking to a counseller at KidsHelpPhone

You can reach them at 1-800-668-6868. If you would rather contact them online, you can do so as well by visiting their online forum.

If you'd like to speak to someone in person and can travel to the Chatam-Kent Women's Centre, you can also speak to a youth councelor there. You can reach them at: 519-354-6360.

As for applying for welfare, according to CLEO:

If you are 16 or 17 years old, you can get social assistance only “under special circumstances”. 

You might have to show OW that your parents will not let you live at home, or that it is harmful for you to live there. For example, you might be able to get assistance if your parents are abusing you physically or emotionally.

And in most cases, the OW worker must be sure that your parents cannot or will not support you financially. Even if you may be able to get financial support from your parents in the future, you might qualify for assistance in the meantime.

You can read more about it here.

You may want to speak to an OW advisor about your living conditions. 

You can also find more information about Ontario Works from their official website here.

When you think you are ready to begin the application process, you can find your nearest OW office here.

If, for whatever reason, you are denied OW, you can appeal the decision by contacting a local Community Legal Clinic in your area.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.


Question asked on Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 07:17

Hi, i got my G1 3 months ago, i was just wondering if i was to take driving school now, would i have to wait 8 months from the day i start driving school to get my G2, or would it be 8 months from the day i took the written test (G1)? (which would leave me with 5 months before getting my G2)



Thank you for your question.

Once you receive your G1, you have 5 years to get your G before your license expires. 

If you decide to take driving school classes after your G1, you will be able to apply for your G2 in 8 months from the date you received your G1.

You will need to show proof that you successfully completed your courses.

You can learn more about it here.

Hope that answers your question.


Question asked on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 07:57

Hi, I'm in my second year and my parents paid for my university for the first year but due to family problems I am no longer in contact with them.

I have no job and I'm a permanent resident of Canada. Please advise me on what I should do. My parents will not provide me with any of their documents or signatures for OSAP either. Do you think I will be able to get OSAP without parental information?


Hello Anum,

If you want to apply for OSAP without signatures or supporting documentations from your parents, there are two scenerios to consider:

Scenerio One: Have you been out of high school for more than four years? I understand you are a second year university student, but prior to your first year, were you out of school for four or more years? If that's the case, then you can apply for OSAP without your parents signatures. 

Scenerio Two: If you have not been out of high school for more than four years (for example, you went straight from high school to university), then you will need supporting documentation and signatures from your parents. If you cannot obtain these, you must give OSAP a good reason for why you can't (for example, a restraining order, or police report). 

You may even be 18 or over, but because you have not been out of high school for more than four years, you will have to get your parents signatures for your application. 

Any questions you may have regadring OSAP are best answered by the financial aid office at your school. Your financial aid office should be the first place to start if you have questions about current or future OSAP loans.   

Since each students' situation is unique, contacting the financial aid office is the best place to start. 

Set up an appointment with them and explain your situation and they should be able to assist you further. I hope that answers your question!