Ask a Question!

Question asked on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 22:54

If I came from another country and want to do my drivers licenses in Canada would a Canadian health card and my passport from the country I came from work as identification???

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question!

Yes that should be enough ID to start your drivers' licence application but you should visit our "How to get a Driver's Licence" page for all information related to this topic.

We hope this helps.

NewYouth.ca team

Still can't find what you need? Tell us what information you would like to see on our website at [email protected]

Question asked on Monday, September 25, 2017 - 14:11
G1

Hello,

My daughter is 16 and ready to get her G1 - what kind of ID does she need?   we nevered travel out of Ontario, she does'nt have a passport  -  she was born and raised in Toronto, Ontario

Her health card does not have a picture.... yet, she does have a picture school ID - and birth certificate

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question!

Please visit our "How to get a Driver's Licence" page for all information related on how to obtain a drivers' licence in Ontario and for links to other resources.

We hope this helps.

NewYouth.ca team

Question asked on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 11:34

Do I need to show my immigration status and passport if I am a.visitor in order to do written test for G1 licence

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question!

Please see our "How do I get my driver's licence" page or visit our Settlement.org site and see the "How do I get my driver's licence and what documents do I need"

We hope this helps.

NewYouth.ca team

Question asked on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 19:16

Hi,

I am a recipent on ODSP that wants to go to Post-seconary. However I need OSAP to cover my expenses for college. Will applying for OSAP affect my elgibility for ODSP?

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question.

OSAP is meant to cover your educational costs (tuitions fees, textbooks, supplies, and local transportation) not your living expenses. Even if you are an ODSP recipient, you should still qualify for OSAP.

Please visit  the Applying for OSAP  section of our site. Or if you need more information you can visit the ODSP Income Support Directive or Students in Special Circumstances.

I hope that helps.

NewYouth.ca team

Question asked on Tuesday, September 5, 2017 - 12:19

I have recently found out that my child, who is under 18 is receiving O.W.

My child is living with her boyfriend and his family. Her father and I are divorced

but have never kicked her out or abused her. We wish she would live with either

of us. The people she is with are recreational drug users and against therapy.

They believe marijuana is good for anxiety.

They helped her get O.W. and are taking rent from her. I was NOT notified by O.W.

or questioned. What can I do? My daughter was in counselling (it took 3 months to get her

into the Pathstone program), but quit since moving in with these people. She is currently

in the hospital on a 72hour hold and we want her to get into a 2 week program at Mac Sick Kids.

What can I do??

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question!

We are sorry to hear about your situation. By law, in Ontario a child 16 years of age and older can withdraw from parental control and live where they choose.

Please see our I'm under 18 how can I apply for OW section for information on getting Ontario Works if you are 16-18 years old. We would also advise you to consult with Legal Aid Ontario if you need further assistance on what else you can do.

We hope this helps!

NewYouth.ca team

Question asked on Tuesday, November 1, 2016 - 00:53

hello how can I reach you I can't publicize this question coz it's confidential how can I reach you to your actual email address thank you

Comment:

You can email us directly at [email protected]

Jai

Question asked on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 10:21

Hi my parents are getting ODSP, however i don't live with them or getting any help from them. Also, i am not in the under beneficiary of ODSP. however, when i apply for my OSAP, they ask if i my parents getting ODSP. i said yes. in other hand, according to the OSAP i am still a dependent student since i’ve been out of high school for less than 4 years before the start of my study period. but i am living independently. not getting any help from my parents or i am not helping them either. how should i handle this situation? help please

Comment:

Hello,

Thank you for your question.

If your parents are receiving ODSP and you have mentioned that in your OSAP application, it will not impact the amount of OSAP you are eligible to receive. You are required to identify in your OSAP application your family’s estimated income or if they are ODSP recipients. This is only so that OSAP can verify your family’s income if you are considered a dependent student. You will continue to get the amount of OSAP you are eligible for.

OSAP is meant to cover your educational costs (and not living costs), such as tuitions fees, textbook costs, additional supplies and equipment, and local transportation. Your income or your family’s income will not impact your OSAP amount. Even if you are an ODSP recipient, you can still apply for OSAP.

You can read more here on the policies of Ontario Disability Support Program. You can also read more here on the definitions of dependent and independent students according to OSAP.

I hope that helps.

Question asked on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 09:58

Hi am a new comer and just 25 days old in Canada. I don't have any photo id issued by Ontario govt. I have my passport and landing papers. What should I do in this case to take G1 test??

Comment:

Hello,

Thank you for your question.

You will need to show proof of the following to take your G1 driver’s license test:

• Legal name,
  • Date of birth (with the day, month, and year), and
  • Signature.

It is not necessary to have an Ontario issued government photo ID to show as proof. As long as you have a personal ID AND documents that show proof of your immigration status then you can take the G1 test. According to DriveTest, where all Ontario driver’s licenses are issued: “Proof of identity requirements can be met by presenting one or multiple documents, depending on the level of detail available on the documents you choose to show.”

To find more information on which documents are acceptable by DriveTest to take your driver’s license test, you can check their website here. You can also read more on how to get your driver’s license here from NewYouth.Ca. To know more details on how to apply for your test, you can read the article on Settlement.Org, found here.

I hope that helps.

Question asked on Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 00:41

Hello, I am 16 years old and my home life is not well. There is lots of neglect and no support for my various mental illnesses. Both me and my social worker think that I would be better off living on my own but I do not have the finatial support to do so. I am a full time student with a part time job making $10.55 an hour, but that is obviously not enough to live off of. Whenever I do research on if I am eligable for social assistance (money) it always says something like: If you are 16 or 17 you may be eligable "under certain circumstances" I was wondering what that means? Like how bad does my life have to be? Would I be eligable?

Comment:

Hello,

Thank you for your question.

If you are 16 years old and want to apply for social assistance, you can be eligible under certain circumstances. “Under certain circumstances” means it depends on your situation at home.

To be eligible for Ontario Works, you might have to show an OW worker that your parents will not let you live at home, or it is harmful for you to live there. The OW worker will evaluate your specific situation and take into consideration your overall well-being, including your mental illnesses and neglect. You can find more information here on how to apply for OW.

Ontario Works can also help you to find a better job by providing you with job counselling and job-specific training while giving access to basic education so that you finish your high school education. You can find more information on OW through their website here.

Your social worker has more knowledge about your circumstances; talk to them about applying for Ontario Works. You can begin the application process by visiting your nearest Ontario Works office. Find the nearest OW office here.

If you are looking to find support for your mental health, you can find some options here. You can also visit a community health centre near you.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow-up to your question/situation.

Pooja - NewYouth.ca

Question asked on Wednesday, August 3, 2016 - 15:46

Hi

if I'm Syrian refugee in Canada and I apply for work permit

Do I need to pay the 155$ fees?

Comment:

Hello,

Thank you for your question.

If you are a refugee claimant applying for a work permit or a Social Insurance Number (SIN), you do not need to pay any application fees.

However, you do need to prove that you must work to support yourself otherwise you’ll need social assistance (welfare). You can find more information on how to apply for a work permit as a refugee claimant by reading the article here. It’s a good idea to visit a settlement counsellor or settlement agency in your area to help you with any further questions you may have. They can also help you fill out your application forms in person.

I hope that helps.