Ask a Question!

Question asked on Sunday, November 5, 2017 - 21:15

The OHIP+ program will cover common medications, but the ODB does not always cover doses appropriate for children/youth. For instance, fluoxetine (prozac) is covered but not the 10mg dose. Adults are started on 20 mgs and if the dose needs to be increased, it is increased 20 mgs at a time. Kids, however, are started on 10 mgs and the dose is increased 10 mgs at a time. This means that children/youth in families that cannot afford to pay/do not have coverage are overmedicated. Will this now be a problem for all kids. (I am concerned that extended health plans may no longer cover meds on the ODB for kids.)

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question!

As of January 1, 2018 the Ontario government will provide free medication to all children under the age of 24 as part of the new OHIP+ program.

In the meantime, if you still have questions about the dosage required and your ODB plan you can contact ServiceOntario who will direct you to the right area of the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care’s, Ontario Public Drug Plan services:

ServiceOntario

INFOline:1-866-532-3161 (Toll-free)
In Toronto, (416) 314-5518
TTY 1-800-387-5559.
In Toronto, TTY 416-327-4282

We hope this helps!

NewYouth.ca team

Still can't find what you need? Tell us what information you would like to see on our website at [email protected]

Question asked on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 17:49

Hi, I am 16 years old I am in high school. I want to know if there if anyway I could be put on OW because all me and my parents do is fight and yell at each other, there is no abuse but I just can’t keep going on like this because it is showing in my school work that I am disacted. Please can you put me in contact with someone who could answer a few questions.

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question!

Please read our "I'm under 18, how can I apply for Ontario Works (Welfare)" for information on getting financial assitance and for an Ontario Works office near you. You will need to make an appointment and consult an OW case worker to explore what options you have.

We hope this helps!

NewYouth.ca team

Question asked on Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 08:50

I am still in school and am planning on living with my significant other and his family I can not live at home as my mom does not support me financially anymore my boyfriend works full time he lives in thamesville and I would need help with money wise because I am still in school so I would need help with paying rent food and clothing just need some help well I'm still in school

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question!

You will need to consult an Ontario Works (OW) worker to determine your situation and see what you are elegible for. You can start an OW claim by visiting an office in your area. Please read our "I'm under 18, how can I apply for Ontario Works (Welfare)" for information on getting financial assitance and to find an office near you.

We hope this helps!

NewYouth.ca team

Question asked on Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 17:15

If I am living with my significant other and there parents but the living conditions are bad for my significant other and to myself because of unrelated issues and mental problems in the house we moved in there when mental health for sig declined and was unable to support us do we or myself apply for ow for we can leave the volatile situation and be normal again sig can't get job due to mental health at the moment but is receiving help from cmha and will get job again i am 16 sig is 19 lived in own for 2 years parents still collecting for me but not supporting at all

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question!

You will need to contact an OW office to discuss your situation. Please visit our  "I'm under 18, how can I apply for OW?" page for more information on getting and applying for Ontario Works.

We hope this helps.

NewYouth.ca team

Question asked on Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 11:44

If my passport is expired , but less then 5 years expired can I use it for ID to get my G1?

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question!

Unfortunately, an expired passport is not acceptable proof of ID to apply for your G1 drivers' licence. Please visit the "Acceptable documents" page of Ontario.ca or Settlement.org "How do I apply for a dirvers' licence" page for more information.

We hope this helps.

NewYouth.ca team

Question asked on Thursday, October 5, 2017 - 09:27

Im 16, i cant take it at home anymore. I suffer from anxiety and depression and my moms not helping me at all. She constantly puts me down, kicks me out, ect. I just need to get out. I am in school and have a part time job but i dont make enough to get a small apartment.. can i please get an email to contact someone so i can get some help..? Thanks in advance.

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question!

Please visit our page "I'm under 18, how can I apply for Ontario Works (Welfare)?"  for information on how to apply for financial support through Ontario Works (OW) and how to find an OW office in your area.

If you you are suffering from depression or other mental health issues, you can also visit the Health section of our website where there are some great resources for you to find help like  "Where can I get mental health help".

We hope this helps.

NewYouth.ca team

Question asked on Tuesday, October 3, 2017 - 09:10

Im currently living at home, but things between me and my mother are getting harder and harder to deal with. I feel like im losing my mind and i just dont know how much more i can take. Is it possible for me to get on student welfare? I am in school and i have a part time job but it isnt enough for me to afford my own place so i cant move out on my own. I dont have many hours because of school, i dont want to overwhelm myself. But is it possible for me to get on OW?

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question!

We hope this helps.

Question asked on Monday, October 2, 2017 - 13:44
G2

I currently hold a G1 and I am wondering if I have to go for the G2 right after 12 months or i could just wait a while?

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question!

You have 5 years from the day you pay your licence fees to take all the tests.

Please visit our "How to get a Driver's Licence" page on the home page for more information.

We hope this helps!

NewYouth.ca team

Question asked on Monday, October 2, 2017 - 11:43

I have a questions ? I don’t get a long with my parents there’s no abuse I just don’t get along with them I am 16 and I want to move out and apply for welfare but I’m not sure if I’ll be approuved because there’s no abuse going on in my home I just need my own place I can’t stand fighting with my step mom and my mom anymore I’m also trying to get a job I am still in highscool also

Comment:

NewYouth Response

Hello and thank you for your question!

We're sorry you are having difficulties at home. Please visit our page "I'm Under 18, How Can I Apply for Ontario Works (Welfare)?"  for more information on how to apply for OW and find an OW office in your area. If you visit  the Daily Life section of our site you will also find other reources to help you.

We hope this helps.

NewYouth.ca team

Question asked on Friday, September 29, 2017 - 20:48

I am 24 years old and just became a permanent resident in canada. I am the only one in this country from my family. I want to pursue y education further is it possible for me to get OSAP because i don`t have the means to continue my education.

Comment:

Hello and thank you for your question.

Please check out our "How do I apply for OSAP" page for information on what's needed to apply.

We hope this helps!