Child Support

Do I have to pay child support if the child moves out of residence, is 18 years old and on ontario works




Thank you for your question.


According to the Federal Child Support Guidelines:

“The Federal Guidelines set out specific rules for calculating support for a child under the age of majority. For a child at or over the age of majority (the age of majority is 18 years in Ontario), you can use the same rules. Or, if you find that this approach is not appropriate, you may agree to base the amount of support for an older child on:

  • the child’s needs, means and other circumstances; and
  • the ability of each of you to contribute financially.”

You can find more information here on paying child support for a child over 18 years old.


I hope that helps.

Pooja -