Can you get social assistance while you are in school.


I am in university and i moving into an apartment on my schools campus. The rent is 780 a month. And I also have my tuition. I also applied for osap. However, the apartment is under my room mates name not mine. It's a two bedroom and we split the rent. I am looking for a job. 

Can I apply for social assistance even though I applied to osap? 





Thank you for your question.

Yes, you can apply for Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) to help with living costs while receiving OSAP.

However, you cannot apply for Ontario Works while receiving OSAP unless you are married or are a sole-support parent. In that case, you could be eligible to receive OW if the amount of money is you get is less than the OW funds.

For more information, you can refer to the OSAP guidelines for students in special circumstances.

 I hope that helps.

 Pooja -