18 years old & need to move out from parents home

Im 18 years old and being constantly emotionally abused at home & im just wondering if there is some kind of student welfare that would help me get my own place until i leave for university in the fall? i cant stay with any relatives since they all live too far from my high school. This is a pretty broad question but i would appreciate any help i can get


Hello and thank you for your question.

We're sorry for the difficult situation you're in. Your health and safety is most important, and if you feel like you're in danger, please get help immediately. 

You can contact a Legal Aid clinic in your area and speak to an advisor for a free consultation on what your options are. You can also call or chat online with a counsellor at Kidshelpphone.ca.

Welfare, known as Ontario Works, is one of the options you should look into. To be eligble for welfare, you must:

  • live in Ontario
  • be in financial need (your household doesn’t have sufficient financial resources to meet basic living expenses)
  • be willing to make reasonable efforts to find, prepare for and keep a job (unless you have specific circumstances that temporarily prevent you from doing so, such as an illness or caregiving responsibilities)

To get the best help, we suggest going to an Ontario Works office and meeting with a case worker. They'll be able to answer all of your questions and guide you through the process. Make sure you bring all the necessary documents to your appointment. 

We hope this helps.

NewYouth.ca team

Still can't find what you need? Tell us what information you would like to see on our website at [email protected]