16 and Pregnant

I am 16 and pregnant and I know my parents won't let me stay at home. I recently quit working at McDonalds so I have no job and I want to have my baby and finish school. What can OW do to help?



Thank you for your question. 

If you are 16-years-old, you can get social assistance only “under special circumstances”. You can find more information here on how to apply.

Ontario Works can help you in several ways, for example: 

  • income support to help with the costs of basic needs, like food, clothing and shelter
  • health benefits for you and your child
  • workshops on resume writing and interviewing

Ontario Works can also help you find a job. They will provide you with job counselling and job-specific training with access to basic education, so you can finish high school or improve your language skills.

You can also find more information about Ontario Works from their official website here.

When you think you are ready to begin the application process, you can find your nearest OW office here.

If, for whatever reason, you are denied OW, you can appeal the decision by contacting a local Community Legal Clinic in your area.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.